Wisdom from the team and participants of the Future Makers Fellowship.
For many Future Makers alumni and staff (most of whom are alumni too!) the best advice they ever got was: “TRUST ME, DO THE FUTURE MAKERS FELLOWSHIP”. We asked them for the best other advice they’ve received and the results were fantastic – from “Make your 5-year old self proud” to “Never listen to advice”. Here’s a selection!
We’re currently taking Expressions of Interest for the 2018 program**. If you or someone you know are considering applying, now is the time. And if you’d like to speak with one of our team or alumni, reach out.
Enjoy these pearls of wisdom!
- “Make your 5-year old self proud” - Melanie Lee, Future Makers alumni
- “Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.” - Matt Wicking, Future Makers Facilitator and Alumni
- “Your feelings are a choice.”, “Done is better than perfect.”, “Avoiding difficult conversations will only make them worse.” - Laura Hamilton-O'Hara, Future Makers Facilitator and Alumni
- “Be generous with your time professionally and be a connector; make time to have a coffee once a week with someone who wants to get into sustainability and it'll pay you back three-fold.” - Laura Reed, Future Makers Alumni
- “You can't clean up the world if you can't clean up your room.” - Kiernan Smith, Future Makers alumni
- “Bloom where you're planted.” - Yasmeen Richards, Future Makers Alumni
- “On the other side of fear is freedom.” - Jennifer Burley, Future Makers Alumni
- “Practice meditating on your limitlessness within. Keep expanding. Don't let limits of others or limitations of the paradigm limit your imagination around what is possible. Support others to do the same.” - Jodee Mundy, Future Makers Alumni
- “Always aim to do yourself out of a job” - and – “You only get one life in this particular body suit, so make the most of it”. - Sara Rickards, Future Makers Facilitator and Alumni
- “People won't listen to what you know, until they know you are listening” (i.e. engage with people, don't just preach at them) - Toni Stevens, Future Makers Alumni
- “What’s helped me the most is the idea of not doing and giving myself the permission to do nothing. It takes the pressure off of needing to achieve, I work more effectively and enjoy my life and my work.” - Jeremy Mah, Future Makers Facilitator and Head of Learning for Sustainability and Alumni
- When paralysed by the pressure of choice: “Do the next right thing. You can't plan everything or know exactly how to get to your desired end point, but just choose the next right thing.” - Sarah Ladyman, Future Makers alumni
- 'Your significance becomes evident in hindsight' - "This made me realise that when I choose to do something, I've got to really do it. It may not seem like a big deal in the moment, however, over time, all those purposeful actions add up to something others may look up to. I'm the kind of person who really gives things a good go now, even if it doesn't make total sense in the moment." - Lina Patel, Future Makers Facilitator and Alumni
- “Permission to fail was the best thing for me when I was starting out. It allowed me to go out and be the best version of me without fear and inhibition.” - Helga Svendsen, Co-chair, CSL Board of Directors
- “To achieve joy/happiness for yourself, live for others and give yourself away” - Matt Grover, Future Makers Fellow 2017
- “The only person you will be spending the rest of your live with is you.” - Lina Del Pilar, Future Makers alumni
- “You are entirely up to you” - Jo Green, Future Makers alumni
- My mentor during the Fellowship once said, “As long as you’re doing what you are passionate about, you will find your way around this world. Never invest yourself in something you don’t care about.” That’s been a theme of my life, allowing me to jump between fields and occupations and not be afraid of the gaps and crevices in between. - Sandi Middleton, Regional Programs Facilitator and Alumni
- "Feel the fear and do it anyway." - Fiona Luth, 2015 Future Makers Alumni
- "Never listen to advice." - Cameron Elliott, Future Makers Facilitator and Alumni
**For 2018, we're evolving our award-winning Fellowship so it builds on our strengths and better incorporates contributions from our rich (and wise!) community.
We've learned a lot over the past decade. The 2018 Future Makers Fellowship will keep the magic of past versions while making it available to participants outside the city centres of Melbourne and Sydney. With a slightly shorter run-time (6 months March-August, instead of 8), more emphasis on our retreats - which have always been the highlight of our programs - and a reinvigorated format, we're confident 2018 will be better than ever. Expressions of Interest, now open!